The key purpose to implement this project is to provide the legal aid and support to the persons with disabilities for their easy access to justice. The main objective of this project is to review and mapping the training manual of the justice delivering actors (judges), police personnel whether they are disabled friendly or not and conduct workshop and provide them trainings to communicate them with persons with disabilities to easily deal with the issues of the persons with disabilities. The persons with disabilities are not able to utilize their access to justice right because of their disability. The person with hearing disability is not able to express them because there are no proper translators who can deliver their issues through translation. Due to which they self don’t want to go to the concerned place for justice because nobody understands them. The courts, police station etc. are not disabled friendly which is also one of the hurdles for the persons with disabilities to reach to such places. The activities that we will apply during this project are Policy Mapping and Review, Legal Support to the persons with disabilities and Workshop and training to the judicial officials and police personnel.
This project will be conducted in coordination with the National Judicial Academy to provide the training to judicial officials to communicate with persons with disabilities in dealing their issues and also with the police headquarters to provide training to police personnel to communicate with persons with disabilities in dealing their issues. By the help of the activities we will be able to find out whether the policy of the administration of justice and the training manual of the police personnel, justice delivering officials are disabled friendly or not and work for making it disabled friendly. We will also be able to promote the capacity of the judicial officials and police personnel in communicating with the persons with disabilities to deal easily in the issues of the persons with disabilities by providing them training. The persons with disabilities will be able to utilize their access to justice right in full extent.
The main aim of this project is to enhance the access to justice right of the persons with disabilities protected by the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UNCRPD) under Article 13 (1) and (2). The persons with disabilities are unable to fight for their rights because there is no disabled friendly environment in the administration of justice and other concerned authorities. The persons with disabilities are unable to communicate with the justice delivering authorities and police staffs about their issues due to which they cannot get the justice for their violated rights. So, this project will cover most of the activities to enhance and protect the rights of the persons of disabilities. The brief description about this project is given below:
- Overall objectives: Contribute to human rights promotion and disable inclusive justice in Nepal.
- Specific Objectives:
- To review and mapping of the policy and training manual of the judicial officials and police personnel
- To provide training to the judicial officials and police personnel to communicate with the persons with disabilities to easily deal with the issues of the persons with disabilities
- To provide legal aid and support to the persons with disabilities.
Targeted Beneficiaries: This project has aim to address particularly the following types of beneficiaries.
- Situation Analysis and Policy Mapping: Justice Delivering officials and Police Personnel
- Study and survey on Training Manual: Justice Delivering officials and Police Personnel
- Workshop and Trainings: Justice Delivering officials and Police Personnel
- Legal Support: Persons with Disabilities
Strategy and key activities:
The DHRC will lead the whole implementation of the project and the project coordinator will be the key responsible person to lead all the operation and day to day management of the project. On behalf of the DHRC board the president, secretary and treasurer will monitor jointly to the project coordinator and provide necessary guidance. As per the need the board representatives also support to ensure the necessary coordination with different stakeholders. DHRC-Nepal will also coordinate with National Federation of Disabled Nepal (NFDN) and OSF office to conduct the activities of workshop and trainings to the justice delivering officials and the police personnel. DHRC-Nepal‘s expertise will also conduct research and study on the policy of administration of justice and police training manual are disabled friendly or not.
Key activities: The organization plans to carry out the following are key activities to implement this project successfully:
- Policy Mapping and Review of Training Manual:
- Committee formulation:
- Workshop and Trainings:
- Legal Support:
The expected outcomes of this project through the activities are:
- Policy and the police training manual will be disabled friendly through suggestions provided in workshop
- The capacity of the justice delivering officers/ justice actors and the police personnel will be promoted to communicate and deal with the persons with disabilities through training.
- The access to justice right of the persons with disabilities will be protected.